Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thing 18: Facebook and Myspace

FACEBOOK:
Yes, I have an account. Find me by searching my first and last names. And yes, I am a member of several groups ... Hogwarts, Gators, Breast Cancer Awareness, etc. As to whyit may be the fastest growing social network, I'm really not sure, but I am eager to see what others have to say as for reasoning. For me, My space is to young, so the ".edu" reasoning for "Young Adults" makes sense, and I can completely understand why college students would be upset if this was opened up to the "general public." Hmmmm...is the reputation deserved? Well...on one hand, t's easy to use and it's one tool that allows my generation to keep in touch with each other. On the other hand, I've heard others who are NOT of my generation argue that it doesn't allow you to be outside or have LIVE contact with these same people, etc. etc. Go figure. Welcome technology.

MYSPACE
Libraries use Myspace as a means to communicate with teens and children. It is a way to publicize and promote activities, programs, and services. Teens and kids can become "friends" with your library's account and follow along. The library can even send out event invitations as a reminder. On top of that, this is a cool way of getting pictures of programs up to share. You can then associate someone's account (ask permission!) so that they have easy access to it as well. As far as I am concerned, I still have a Myspace account (thought MS is going out of style) simply b/c I have musician friends who use this platform to promote their music, and this is one means by which I can support them. This is another thing we can use with our teens...get them to associate the music with our page or create other programs that open other's eye to new songs, musicians, and styles.



PS: OK, those of you who are not much into High School Reunions, please don't laugh! I went onto Facebook last night and found out that our Senior Class Pres, VP, Secretary, and Treasurer created a Class of '99 Reunion group. YAY!

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the recover post function? Go to: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&answer=42442
    When you're typing your post do you click on the Save Now button periodically?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...THANK YOU! I will DEFINITELY try that! =-D

    ReplyDelete