Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thing 13: LibraryThing

OK, for starters, you can FIND me @ LadyLibrarianLyss.

Second...technology is sometimes a pain in the neck. I lost my whole entry b/c Blogger crashed. How much does that just ruin it? Point being...in learning about all the new technologies, one thing I learned is that they aren't perfect!

As far as blogging about my experiences...overall, Library Thing is AWESOME! I know, I know...I've heard people say that creating accounts really puts everyone out there...kind of a "Big Brother is watching" kind of thing. This tool, at the very least, is easy to use and serves a fantastic purpose. For starters, this will be an excellent tool to use as I am the Youth Services Librarian. Parent and kids alike will come to me for recommendations, be it for leisure or what do I read next?, research and home work, and even parenting or social (schools, boys, girls, etc.)survival skills.

In addition to this, LibraryThing offers the Local venue. I have had trouble adding these local venues (including my own branch) to my favorites. Again, technology isn't perfect. However, this is extremely beneficial as I can post my children's and teens programming to my branch's account to advertise it. In this day in age when statisitics mean money (and jobs), this is definitely an asset.

Thus far, I have used the tools on Facebook to recommend books I have read, but this tool is hard for me to find; LibraryThing will definitely be an easier alternative! I look forward to using this! In fact, this is definitely something I will apply to my home library. As a librarian, I tend to be selective when purchasing books, and this will be a great way not only to catalog what I have but to promote these titles to others who might share my taste!

I joined GoodReads this evening. It seems to be very similar to LibraryThing, and I'm okay with that. These are some more tools that I have absolutely enjoyed playing with and can incorporate into my daily routine at work. It's practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment