Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thing 4: RSS and Newsreaders

Technology. Hmmmm. Wouldn't you know that I typed up a whole response and lost it sue to my Internet Service's speed. Progress in motion, what can I say!

So, I've made progress! I love RSS. And yes...it is REALLY simple. I like the fact that users have the option of subscribing right there on that page, or pasting the link to the appropriate box in the feeder. I selected Google Reader. Google. Again. I choose it because it was something I was familiar with, and sometimes the learning process calls for familiarity when an abundance of information is so new. I figure that I can always create a new account elsewhere if it supports a format better, but this will allow me to improve my skills as I continue to learn the skills thus far.

So far, I have been searching for RSS feeds based on my interests. Check out my World (as if you couldn't guess!):

1. Disney World Fans
(A Variety of DIS discussion boards)
2. UF Departments
a. Children's Literature
b. Arts
c. In the News
d. Inside
3. Stephenie Meyer
4. CNN (newsworthy)
5. SJCPLS, of course!

Our system has already incorporated a feed on the website. It's very beneficial. I think that it will assist in getting information out about programs, materials, and everything else we have to offer. I am curious as to how I can use it to communicate with the families that utilize my branch, but I'm a little overwhelmed, so I am continuing to explore and practice and learn before I can fully realize how this will benefit my contribution to the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment