Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thing 3

This is an excellent exercise in which I look forward to discussing with those of you who are already accomplished in this skill set. I think I'll need to spend some more time using this feature to get more comfortable with it. This said, the first thing I noticed about Technorati is that you could register your blog with the company, and it could be PINGed, thus making it moreaccessible on the web. Important seeing as the numbers of blogs we are seeing on a daily basis are so large.

For the exercise, I started with Sphere and found that the format was not compatible with my learning style. Its design was not aesthetically pleasing for me to conduct the required searches. Shamefully, I moved on to the Google Websearch. In my experience, it seem as though Google, yet again, has the upperhand here. The relevance of the results were more precise with regards to what I wanted, and there were more with regards to the quantity. Google provides an Advanced Search option (including word phrasing and limitations, searching for words within a blog title, the author of a blog, dates, languages, and even "safe searching.") Users can also set their own personal preferences. Technorati offers an advanced search that includes the word phrasing options, but the results were not as pertinient as those yielded in my Google searching.

So, Google has the upperhand. This said, I think that Technorati is an extremely advanced tool that is quickly coming up to Google standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment